USA ID card for federal employees and contractors
Roland Perry
2004-10-06 14:44:53 UTC
They then invent wild conspiracy theories, in which BT is deliberately
hobbling ADSL for some reason, usually to protect their leased line
business.
If it was only as easy to debunk the "wild conspiracy theories" floating
about regarding the wicked forces of law and order [tm]. It's as clear
to me as what you say about BT (that such theories are nonsense and all
we really have are a lot of people trying to do an honest day's work). A
bit more difficult to express in terms of amps and volts, though.
Roland Perry
Roland Perry
2004-10-06 14:39:50 UTC
The real issue is that we can never envisage what bandwidth is needed
for the next generation of (unknown) services so the bandwidth is never
available at the start of the market.
Up to a point. The stuff I was working on in 1998 very clearly envisaged
how much bandwidth was required (about 1MBit a user), and the only
available solution, had we persevered, was IP over DVB.
Roland Perry
Brian Morrison
2004-10-06 15:14:22 UTC
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:39:50 +0100 in
Post by Roland Perry
The real issue is that we can never envisage what bandwidth is needed
for the next generation of (unknown) services so the bandwidth is
never available at the start of the market.
Up to a point. The stuff I was working on in 1998 very clearly
envisaged how much bandwidth was required (about 1MBit a user), and
the only available solution, had we persevered, was IP over DVB.
The application you had was operating within the achievable bandwidth
for the era though. I was really referring to the interplay between what
is needed for a given task and whether anyone will develop a technology
when the infrastructure to support it is not widespread.

There are no easy answers of course, but it looks to me to make sense to
put in fibre to the home on new built properties even if the ends of
that cable are unterminated now. At least then there is a high bandwidth
local loop in place at the cost of a length of cable, because a lot of
the cost comes in digging things up. And the downside is that if it is
never used then the loss of cash on this investment is fairly small.
--
Brian Morrison

bdm at fenrir dot org dot uk

GnuPG key ID DE32E5C5 - http://wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net/pgpnet/wwwkeys.html
Roland Perry
2004-10-06 15:23:26 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Roland Perry
The real issue is that we can never envisage what bandwidth is needed
for the next generation of (unknown) services so the bandwidth is
never available at the start of the market.
Up to a point. The stuff I was working on in 1998 very clearly
envisaged how much bandwidth was required (about 1MBit a user), and
the only available solution, had we persevered, was IP over DVB.
The application you had was operating within the achievable bandwidth
for the era though.
Only by doing daft things like renting whole satellite transponders. It
was significantly outside the capability of narrowband, which was pretty
much all that was available at a mass market price.
Post by Brian Morrison
I was really referring to the interplay between what
is needed for a given task and whether anyone will develop a technology
when the infrastructure to support it is not widespread.
Well, my then employers came unstuck developing their bit of the product
mix, when the infrastructure to deliver it wasn't widespread :-(
Post by Brian Morrison
There are no easy answers of course, but it looks to me to make sense to
put in fibre to the home on new built properties even if the ends of
that cable are unterminated now. At least then there is a high bandwidth
local loop in place at the cost of a length of cable, because a lot of
the cost comes in digging things up. And the downside is that if it is
never used then the loss of cash on this investment is fairly small.
All new developments I've seen for at least 5 years have had "drainpipe"
sized conduit for BT and cable TV to every front door.
Roland Perry
Brian Morrison
2004-10-06 16:05:05 UTC
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:23:26 +0100 in
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Brian Morrison
The application you had was operating within the achievable
bandwidth for the era though.
Only by doing daft things like renting whole satellite transponders.
It was significantly outside the capability of narrowband, which was
pretty much all that was available at a mass market price.
ADSL appeared in the UK in 2000 IIRC, granted that availability has
taken 4 years to reach a high percentage of the market.
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Brian Morrison
I was really referring to the interplay between what
is needed for a given task and whether anyone will develop a
technology when the infrastructure to support it is not widespread.
Well, my then employers came unstuck developing their bit of the
product mix, when the infrastructure to deliver it wasn't widespread
:-(
Yes, but such things are not that widespread, so your employers of the
time sound quite 'visionary'in that respect. The price for that is often
commercial failure.
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Brian Morrison
There are no easy answers of course, but it looks to me to make
sense to put in fibre to the home on new built properties even if
the ends of that cable are unterminated now. At least then there is
a high bandwidth local loop in place at the cost of a length of
cable, because a lot of the cost comes in digging things up. And the
downside is that if it is never used then the loss of cash on this
investment is fairly small.
All new developments I've seen for at least 5 years have had
"drainpipe" sized conduit for BT and cable TV to every front door.
Empty drain-sized conduit is not that much use, if it has suitable
cabling in it then its value is much enhanced. It's a building block -
the incremental cost of such cabling is pretty small in comparison with
a street full of houses if it's done during the building and
sewerage/drainage work.

Roland Perry
2004-10-06 16:31:01 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Roland Perry
All new developments I've seen for at least 5 years have had
"drainpipe" sized conduit for BT and cable TV to every front door.
Empty drain-sized conduit is not that much use, if it has suitable
cabling in it then its value is much enhanced.
They have "puller" ropes, and often BT takes the risk of pulling POTS
cables to the whole lot as an economy of scale.
Post by Brian Morrison
It's a building block - the incremental cost of such cabling is pretty
small in comparison with a street full of houses if it's done during
the building and sewerage/drainage work.
Normally done at the same time as things like the kerbsides, pavements
and paths to the front doors. Several months after the gas, electric and
water, and longer still after the drains. But this is not
alt.building.critical-path !
Roland Perry
Brian Morrison
2004-10-06 14:53:20 UTC
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 11:56:02 +0100 in
available at the start of the market. Many places are leapfrogging
to higher local bandwidths (I think backhaul is easier in general,
it just
Local is the key word. Just because one block of flats in a country
has an STM-16 to every lavatory doesn't mean that rural paddy fields
are so equipped.
Indeed not, but how to predict whether said paddy fields will need 10x
that bandwidth in a decade or two?

Ian G Batten
2004-10-06 17:55:59 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
Local is the key word. Just because one block of flats in a country
has an STM-16 to every lavatory doesn't mean that rural paddy fields
are so equipped.
Indeed not, but how to predict whether said paddy fields will need 10x
that bandwidth in a decade or two?
Given the choice between investment in things that make a return now,
and things that might make a return in twenty years, which would a
business make?

ian
Brian Gladman
2004-10-06 14:53:55 UTC
2004-10-06 15:20:33 UTC
2004-10-06 14:53:21 UTC
The Commissioner's report does specify the number of warrants (which are
in effect one per person). It's an exercise for the reader to estimate
whether or not crooks make more calls per day than non-crooks.
That does not tell the whole story though.
It tells you how many people's letters/phones are intercepted in a year,
and how many at one point in a year (from which you can estimate churn).
Also the average number of times these people change from one address or
phone number to another, requiring a modification to the warrant.

It doesn't say how many people have their letters *or* phones
intercepted, rather than letters *and* phones.
The many changes made with RIP all make it more difficult to work out
what is going on from such figures. I don't believe this was an
accident.
From what I see, it is regretted (not celebrated) that the number of
warrants for all types of communication have been merged.
Roland Perry
Ian Johnson
2004-10-06 14:59:03 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
They then invent wild conspiracy theories, in which BT is deliberately
hobbling ADSL for some reason, usually to protect their leased line
business.
If it was only as easy to debunk the "wild conspiracy theories" floating
about regarding the wicked forces of law and order [tm]. It's as clear
to me as what you say about BT (that such theories are nonsense and all
we really have are a lot of people trying to do an honest day's work).
Sorry Roland, but we have a history of serious abuse of Police powers in
this country which hardly ever are prosecuted. Whether it was the
Birmingham 6, Criminal behaviour during the miners strike or shooting
naked unarmed men in their bedrooms. I could go on for ever :) The
evidence of the abuse of powers is widespread, the evidence of the lack
of prosecutions is also widespread.

What we have with interception powers etc., is the above people doing
something without public scrutiny. We know they're quite happy to abuse
the public and break the law when subject to scrutiny, why should anyone
believe they suddenly develop morals when no longer in the public view?

regards

Ian
Roland Perry
2004-10-06 15:15:10 UTC
In article <1097074743.6410.8.camel-***@public.gmane.org>, Ian Johnson
<Ian.Johnson-yseewfJ6skFaa/***@public.gmane.org> writes:

... repeating some of the long standing conspiracy theories...
Post by Ian Johnson
Sorry Roland, but we have a history of serious abuse of Police powers in
this country which hardly ever are prosecuted. Whether it was the
Birmingham 6, Criminal behaviour during the miners strike or shooting
naked unarmed men in their bedrooms. I could go on for ever :) The
evidence of the abuse of powers is widespread, the evidence of the lack
of prosecutions is also widespread.
And I have as long a list of cock-ups by BT. The misdeeds and mistakes
of a few say nothing of the long term "corporate" integrity. I agree
that a bit more publicity regarding the fate of the few wouldn't go
amiss, though.
Roland Perry
Ian Johnson
2004-10-06 15:33:29 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
... repeating some of the long standing conspiracy theories...
So which aren't accurate?
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Ian Johnson
Sorry Roland, but we have a history of serious abuse of Police powers in
this country which hardly ever are prosecuted. Whether it was the
Birmingham 6, Criminal behaviour during the miners strike or shooting
naked unarmed men in their bedrooms. I could go on for ever :) The
evidence of the abuse of powers is widespread, the evidence of the lack
of prosecutions is also widespread.
And I have as long a list of cock-ups by BT.
Which is not quite the same. I don't believe BT would get away with
pepper spraying a pensioner in a car...
Post by Roland Perry
The misdeeds and mistakes
of a few say nothing of the long term "corporate" integrity. I agree
that a bit more publicity regarding the fate of the few wouldn't go
amiss, though.
The misdeeds of the many seem to be supported by the "corporate" entity.

regards,

Ian
Brian Morrison
2004-10-06 15:59:05 UTC
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:15:10 +0100 in
The misdeeds and mistakes of a few say nothing of the long term
"corporate" integrity.
I disagree entirely. A corporate entity is nothing without the humans
that comprise it; their misdeeds *are* the public face of a corporation
just as much as their good deeds. Knowledge of these is necessary for an
informed judgement.

Roland Perry
2004-10-06 16:24:25 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
The misdeeds and mistakes of a few say nothing of the long term
"corporate" integrity.
I disagree entirely. A corporate entity is nothing without the humans
that comprise it; their misdeeds *are* the public face of a corporation
just as much as their good deeds. Knowledge of these is necessary for an
informed judgement.
OK, so your theory is that BT is corrupt. Jolly good.

All I said was that "I wish" I could debunk the "police are corrupt" as
easily as "BT is corrupt". I know I can't, and don't propose to waste
everyone's time with another fruitless attempt.
Roland Perry
Brian Morrison
2004-10-06 16:38:08 UTC
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 17:24:25 +0100 in
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Brian Morrison
I disagree entirely. A corporate entity is nothing without the
humans that comprise it; their misdeeds *are* the public face of a
corporation just as much as their good deeds. Knowledge of these is
necessary for an informed judgement.
OK, so your theory is that BT is corrupt. Jolly good.
You're putting words into my mouth.
Post by Roland Perry
All I said was that "I wish" I could debunk the "police are corrupt"
as easily as "BT is corrupt". I know I can't, and don't propose to
waste everyone's time with another fruitless attempt.
The information I'd like to know would allow me to make my own judgement
on whether I think that the police, or indeed BT, are corrupt in the
same way that each of us could then do for themselves. It is not easily
possible to do that when TPTB huff and puff and tell me that everything
is sweetness and light when in reality it is not like that.

Why does government want to spoon feed me?

Roland Perry
2004-10-06 16:48:37 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Brian Morrison
I disagree entirely. A corporate entity is nothing without the
humans that comprise it; their misdeeds *are* the public face of a
corporation just as much as their good deeds. Knowledge of these is
necessary for an informed judgement.
OK, so your theory is that BT is corrupt. Jolly good.
You're putting words into my mouth.
Not at all, I have evidence of misdeeds by BT employees. Your theory is
that this *is* the public face of the company.
Post by Brian Morrison
Post by Roland Perry
All I said was that "I wish" I could debunk the "police are corrupt"
as easily as "BT is corrupt". I know I can't, and don't propose to
waste everyone's time with another fruitless attempt.
The information I'd like to know would allow me to make my own judgement
on whether I think that the police, or indeed BT, are corrupt in the
same way that each of us could then do for themselves.
You might be surprised how long it takes to get the full picture.
Meanwhile, have you also the time to check out every other corporate
baddy, or do you have a particular "thing" about the police? Of the 43+
police forces, which one would like to interview first?
Roland Perry
Roland Perry
2004-10-06 15:04:32 UTC
Both can of course be steered by suitable happenings, whether they are
"real" or "made up".
Sadly, the difference between the two is no longer as great as it once was I
think. These days what matters is not what may be real or true but what is
widely reported and editorialised - and what is not.
Is Ken Bigley's plight real, or made up?

If there was a policeman who asked the British public "I have this
button here that I can press to intercept the kidnappers' phone, from
which we'll be able to work out where they are, and have the SAS round
there in half an hour. Should I press it, or should I respect the
kidnappers' privacy?

What do you think the vote would look like?
Roland Perry
Owen Lewis
2004-10-06 15:40:49 UTC
Both can of course be steered by suitable happenings, whether they are
"real" or "made up".
Sadly, the difference between the two is no longer as great as
it once was I
think. These days what matters is not what may be real or true
but what is
widely reported and editorialised - and what is not.
Is Ken Bigley's plight real, or made up?
That's actually a much bigger question than you may have intended.

His abduction is certain and it is a tragedy for him and his family. The
widespread and almost salacious reportage of his fear for his life, his
pleadings and of the details of his probable fate, this can only serve the
interests of those who abducted him - like meat to market - and those who
hold and terrorise him as an exercise in banditry and the abuse of power and
make the more likely that others will tread the same horrid path as he.

No possible good end is served by the titillation of the daily reportage and
editorialisation.
If there was a policeman who asked the British public "I have this
button here that I can press to intercept the kidnappers' phone, from
which we'll be able to work out where they are, and have the SAS round
there in half an hour. Should I press it, or should I respect the
kidnappers' privacy?
If you think that question need to be asked, you are asking it of the wrong
man :-)
What do you think the vote would look like?
I think that, on this occasion, one could expect a result by acclamation
with no need for a count. Which is why LI access is here to stay.

Owen
Roland Perry
2004-10-06 16:38:52 UTC
Post by Owen Lewis
Post by Roland Perry
Is Ken Bigley's plight real, or made up?
His abduction is certain and it is a tragedy for him and his family.
Trying to avoid being non-PC, and failing: as is every one of those
killed on the roads today, or whose battle with cancer finally ended, or
any other apparently randomly-inflicted death.
Post by Owen Lewis
Post by Roland Perry
If there was a policeman who asked the British public "I have this
button here that I can press to intercept the kidnappers' phone, from
which we'll be able to work out where they are, and have the SAS round
there in half an hour. Should I press it, or should I respect the
kidnappers' privacy?
If you think that question need to be asked, you are asking it of the wrong
man :-)
Almost a rhetorical question, of course.
Post by Owen Lewis
Post by Roland Perry
What do you think the vote would look like?
I think that, on this occasion, one could expect a result by acclamation
with no need for a count. Which is why LI access is here to stay.
Indeed. And you'd get the same answer for any life-threatening crime
that the voter had any vicarious (or, god-forbid, direct) stake in.
Roland Perry
Owen Lewis
2004-10-06 17:54:07 UTC
Is Ken Bigley's plight real, or made up?
His abduction is certain and it is a tragedy for him and his family.
Trying to avoid being non-PC, and failing: as is every one of those
killed on the roads today, or whose battle with cancer finally ended, or
any other apparently randomly-inflicted death.
Quite so. And made only the more painful by the ceaseless and prurient
reportage and, in particular, the imagery.
Post by Owen Lewis
Post by Roland Perry
What do you think the vote would look like?
I think that, on this occasion, one could expect a result by acclamation
with no need for a count. Which is why LI access is here to stay.
Indeed. And you'd get the same answer for any life-threatening crime
that the voter had any vicarious (or, god-forbid, direct) stake in.
We all have such a stake. 'Any man's death diminishes me, for I am part of
Mankind'. 'Ask not for whom the bell tolls. It tolls for thee'. (With
acknowledgements).

Owen
Brian Morrison
2004-10-06 16:19:47 UTC
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:04:32 +0100 in
Post by Roland Perry
If there was a policeman who asked the British public "I have this
button here that I can press to intercept the kidnappers' phone, from
which we'll be able to work out where they are, and have the SAS
round there in half an hour. Should I press it, or should I respect
the kidnappers' privacy?
A crime has already been committed, hence that question is moot.

Asking the same question in other circumstances (i.e. "We know that the
kidnappers are in Baghdad, so we're going to tap all the phones in that
area and record everything that is said") is going to elicit a different
answer. Except of course that the question is likely to be adjusted to
fit the desired answer anyway....

Roland Perry
2004-10-06 16:43:31 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
If there was a policeman who asked the British public "I have this
button here that I can press to intercept the kidnappers' phone, from
which we'll be able to work out where they are, and have the SAS
round there in half an hour. Should I press it, or should I respect
the kidnappers' privacy?
A crime has already been committed, hence that question is moot.
Not moot, merely easier to answer than one that says "the kidnappers are
one of these three, so we need to find out which".
Post by Brian Morrison
Asking the same question in other circumstances (i.e. "We know that the
kidnappers are in Baghdad, so we're going to tap all the phones in that
area and record everything that is said") is going to elicit a different
answer.
Of course. Nor is your proposed activity at all plausible to implement.
Roland Perry
Ian G Batten
2004-10-06 17:52:45 UTC
Post by Brian Morrison
Asking the same question in other circumstances (i.e. "We know that the
kidnappers are in Baghdad, so we're going to tap all the phones in that
area and record everything that is said") is going to elicit a different
answer.
Really? You mean, asked if a wide-spread telephone tapping programme
which is claimed to reduce some nebulous crime should be implemented,
you expect a plebiscite to say `no'? There's some fairies at the bottom
of my garden who have a bridge to sell you.

If you held a referendum on compulsory carry ID cards combined with
random, unwarranted telephone tapping combined with a massive increase
in CCTV --- a field Britain leads the world in, but not in a good way
--- it would pass with 80% of the vote. Throw in capital punishment for
homosexuals and sending the darkies back to where they come from and
you'd drop it to, _maybe_ 70%. Civil liberties are often, sadly, about
protecting rights that people themselves don't believe they should have.

_Never_ underestimate the atavistic urges of the vast majority of the
population.

ian
Owen Lewis
2004-10-06 15:10:28 UTC
2004-10-06 15:22:30 UTC
Owen Lewis wrote:

[snip]
Post by Owen Lewis
Our ruling clique is sovereign in all, except that it cannot bind its
successors.
Not always so. In the end even they are subservient to the will of the
people when a sufficient number of citizens are prepared to disobey any
law that they pass.

This was the way the Poll Tax was removed - and this was not the first
time that this sort of thing has happened.

[snip]
Brian Gladman
Roland Perry
2004-10-06 15:29:11 UTC
In the end even they are subservient to the will of the people when a
sufficient number of citizens are prepared to disobey any law that they
pass.
This was the way the Poll Tax was removed - and this was not the first
time that this sort of thing has happened.
Poll Tax was special because disobedience hit revenue collection
head-on. "Something" had to be done. As illegal foxhunting doesn't
sabotage a major revenue stream, don't expect that law to be repealed
any time soon, whatever public opinion thinks.
Roland Perry
Owen Lewis
2004-10-06 15:40:50 UTC
Our ruling clique is sovereign in all, except that it cannot bind its
successors.
Not always so. In the end even they are subservient to the will of the
people when a sufficient number of citizens are prepared to disobey any
law that they pass.
This was the way the Poll Tax was removed - and this was not the first
time that this sort of thing has happened.
Nor will it be the last.

I asked you how you rated the chances of the Countryside Alliance with about
1M supporter in getting the Hunting with Dogs Act repealed. You never
answered :-)

Owen
Brian Gladman
2004-10-06 16:12:03 UTC
Our ruling clique is sovereign in all, except that it cannot bind its
successors.
Not always so. In the end even they are subservient to the will of the
people when a sufficient number of citizens are prepared to disobey any
law that they pass.
This was the way the Poll Tax was removed - and this was not the first
time that this sort of thing has happened.
Nor will it be the last.
I asked you how you rated the chances of the Countryside Alliance with about
1M supporter in getting the Hunting with Dogs Act repealed. You never
answered :-)
Because I was not convinced that it had any relevance to the point at
issue at the time.

My answer is that if the Countryside Alliance take the democratic route,
I don't think they stand much of a chance.

But if a large proportion of the 1 million take the same undemocratic
route taken by a proportion of those who opposed the Poll Tax (which I
doubt will happen) they will then stand a somewhat better chance.

Brian Gladman
Owen Lewis
2004-10-06 16:31:22 UTC
Post by Owen Lewis
1M supporter in getting the Hunting with Dogs Act repealed. You never
answered :-)
Because I was not convinced that it had any relevance to the point at
issue at the time.
My answer is that if the Countryside Alliance take the democratic route,
I don't think they stand much of a chance.
True, if you delete 'much' and insert 'any'
But if a large proportion of the 1 million take the same undemocratic
route taken by a proportion of those who opposed the Poll Tax (which I
doubt will happen) they will then stand a somewhat better chance.
I give them a cat's chance in hell, unless and until the revolution comes.

Owen
Brian Gladman
2004-10-06 15:55:04 UTC
Owen Lewis wrote:

[snip]
Post by Owen Lewis
I think you chase a different point. Mine was that if this govt wishes to
licence and tax internet connection it can make it law to do so. If it
wishes to licence and regulate routers used in this country on private
networks it can do so (though that is harder to police - but is more
amenable to the employment of auxiliary lawful eavesdropping techniques).
If what you are concerned about is what laws legislators _can_ pass,
then let me assure you that they can, and sometimes do, pass pretty well
anything into law.

There have, for example, been US legislators who have passed laws
asserting that pi equals three. As somone who seems to take the view
that a law must be obeyed once it is passed - no matter how stupid - I
have to assume that you would have compiled with this if you had been
subject to it. But from what I have read nobody bothered to comply and
nobody ever made any serious attempt to enforce it (I am not even sure
whether anyone bothered to repeal it).

However, what the rest of us are talking about is not simply laws that
legislators _can_ pass but rather laws that they can pass _and_ which
are going to be effective in bringing about their intended result.

And here there is not even the remotest possibility of such laws
governing the functionality of encrypting routers.

Brian Gladman
Owen Lewis
2004-10-06 16:21:15 UTC
If what you are concerned about is what laws legislators _can_ pass,
then let me assure you that they can, and sometimes do, pass pretty well
anything into law.
There have, for example, been US legislators who have passed laws
asserting that pi equals three.
Maybe that accounts for the fact that American doughnuts are never perfectly
circular?

And, here, they once legislated 11 days out of existence (which was,
overall, a useful thing to do).

Owen
Brian Gladman
2004-10-06 16:29:02 UTC
If what you are concerned about is what laws legislators _can_ pass,
then let me assure you that they can, and sometimes do, pass pretty well
anything into law.
There have, for example, been US legislators who have passed laws
asserting that pi equals three.
Maybe that accounts for the fact that American doughnuts are never perfectly
circular?
:-)

I think you would have to observe this only in a a particular State (or
States) though.
Post by Owen Lewis
And, here, they once legislated 11 days out of existence (which was,
overall, a useful thing to do).
And I wonder how many of them thought that they had lost 11 days of
their lives :-)

Brian Gladman
Owen Lewis
2004-10-06 17:44:04 UTC
If what you are concerned about is what laws legislators _can_ pass,
then let me assure you that they can, and sometimes do, pass pretty well
anything into law.
There have, for example, been US legislators who have passed laws
asserting that pi equals three.
Maybe that accounts for the fact that American doughnuts are
never perfectly
Post by Owen Lewis
circular?
:-)
I think you would have to observe this only in a particular State (or
States) though.
Post by Owen Lewis
And, here, they once legislated 11 days out of existence (which was,
overall, a useful thing to do).
And I wonder how many of them thought that they had lost 11 days of
their lives :-)
Those who so legislated? None, I opine. Those who rioted and caused civil
disorder.... probably many, deluded by a few with an unrelated axe to grind.

Owen
Dave Howe
2004-10-06 16:50:26 UTC
Post by Owen Lewis
I think you chase a different point. Mine was that if this govt wishes to
licence and tax internet connection it can make it law to do so. If it
wishes to licence and regulate routers used in this country on private
networks it can do so (though that is harder to police - but is more
amenable to the employment of auxiliary lawful eavesdropping techniques).
Hardness to police has never been a barrier to lawmaking.
The speeding laws were (possibly still are) universally flouted, despite
ever better technology making it harder to "get away with"
Owen Lewis
2004-10-06 18:04:07 UTC
Post by Owen Lewis
licence and tax internet connection it can make it law to do so. If it
wishes to licence and regulate routers used in this country on private
networks it can do so (though that is harder to police - but is more
amenable to the employment of auxiliary lawful eavesdropping
techniques).
Hardness to police has never been a barrier to lawmaking.
The speeding laws were (possibly still are) universally flouted, despite
ever better technology making it harder to "get away with"
Agreed. And yet the common good is better maintained by having arbitrary
limits imposed that it would be were there no limits at all.

Owen
Peter Tomlinson
2004-10-06 15:18:21 UTC
So for ADSL, everyone has to have the same upstream allocation. As
512/256 is a reasonable split for most users, that's what you get.
Those of us on standard spec Telewest cable have a 768/128 split. What
thinks the experts about using VoIP (Skype) over that?

Peter
Roland Perry
2004-10-06 15:25:39 UTC
Post by Peter Tomlinson
Those of us on standard spec Telewest cable have a 768/128 split. What
thinks the experts about using VoIP (Skype) over that?
I had 1.5MB/128k ADSL when I was in the USA recently, and Skype to the
UK was fine.
Roland Perry
Brian Morrison
2004-10-06 16:07:45 UTC
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 16:25:39 +0100 in
Post by Roland Perry
Post by Peter Tomlinson
Those of us on standard spec Telewest cable have a 768/128 split.
What thinks the experts about using VoIP (Skype) over that?
I had 1.5MB/128k ADSL when I was in the USA recently, and Skype to the
UK was fine.
How much bandwidth does Skype use? If it is voice bandwidth then that
fits into 128k easily if compressed, as it surely must be.

Dave Howe
2004-10-06 16:48:00 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
I had 1.5MB/128k ADSL when I was in the USA recently, and Skype to the
UK was fine.
Problem there is you were on the wrong end of the pipe to judge - you
were receving (assuming your recipient here was on 512+256) 256 or as
much of the 256 as he could spare. he was getting at best 128, or as
much of the 128 as you could spare. Your correspondent could make a
decent value judgement though.
However note that digitally compressed teleconferencing on ISDN2 (64K
each way, shared with the data channel) is decent speech quality, has
been around for a fairly long time now, and codec development has only
improved since then, not gone backwards.
Roland Perry
2004-10-06 14:23:19 UTC
As I said at the start, such a data grab should have been authorised
by the Home Secretary or Prime Minister in my view. So far you have
not provided any information that it was.
To do so would be inappropriate in a public forum.
And there I was thinking that high office of that nature should require
that such information *is* placed where the public can verify the
identity of the people that are taking decisions and exercising powers
legislated on their behalf.
A rather naive view. The relevant cabinet papers will no doubt be
available on the usual timescales.
Roland Perry
Brian Morrison
2004-10-06 16:15:12 UTC
On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 15:23:19 +0100 in
Post by Roland Perry
And there I was thinking that high office of that nature should
require that such information *is* placed where the public can
verify the identity of the people that are taking decisions and
exercising powers legislated on their behalf.
A rather naive view. The relevant cabinet papers will no doubt be
available on the usual timescales.
And who will care in 30+ years? Only the historians, the rest of us
would rather like to know now and be able to draw our own conclusions of
what is really happening.

And yes, I know about the difficulties with ongoing investigations, I
don't want to ruin them but I do want to be able to verify the trust I
am forced to place in these people.

Dave Howe
2004-10-06 15:57:47 UTC
Actually, you are perilously close to a previous debate. You *can*
download a copy of RealPlayer (or an equivalent written by one of your
high-school students), and then access a wide range of broadcast media
on your PC. That this doesn't require a TV licence is probably more due
to Ofcom not wanting to rock that particular boat this week, than it
being legally unnecessary.
I would be astonished if it were - unless the BBC are claiming that
because they use RM on their website, you should have to pay a licence
for it (which isn't actually too far from the truth it seems - I have
heard it rumoured that they are talking about making their site
pay-to-use for non-uk browsers)
Dave Howe
2004-10-06 16:02:03 UTC
I'm not sure how the infamous Egg Marketing Inspectorate or the other
Toms, Dicks and Harriets fit in with investigating "organised crime".
tsk. surely you recognise the risk to international harmony inherent in
people selling unsanctioned eggs? :)
David Hansen
2004-10-06 16:08:09 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
The Commissioner's report does specify the number of warrants (which are
in effect one per person). It's an exercise for the reader to estimate
whether or not crooks make more calls per day than non-crooks.
That does not tell the whole story though.
It tells you how many people's letters/phones are intercepted in a year,
and how many at one point in a year (from which you can estimate churn).
Also the average number of times these people change from one address or
phone number to another, requiring a modification to the warrant.
It does not tell you how many telephone "lines" are intercepted. Also,
because the time limits have been greatly extended it gives no feel for
how long.

All very convenient for those inside the tent.
I will *always* explain why I revoke a key, unless the UK
government prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.
David Hansen
2004-10-06 16:09:25 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
If it was only as easy to debunk the "wild conspiracy theories" floating
about regarding the wicked forces of law and order [tm].
The West Midlands Serious Crime Squad were rather more than a wild
conspiracy theory.
David Hansen
2004-10-06 16:11:37 UTC
On one hand, not at all, because LI isn't available to any of the people
you list. HOW MANY TIMES DOES THIS POINT NEED TO BE MADE?!?!?!
The flaws of RIP are not something I take responsibility for.

One of the flaws is that it is a mess. As a result people can discuss
several things in relation to one bit of it. The result is confusion, I
do not think this is accidental.
David Hansen
2004-10-06 16:16:30 UTC
Therefore, I suggest (and have bored some here to death with it) that we
need a written Constitution
I have no objection to one.
Well it is now the law and therefore, de facto and de jure, must be the
right way to do things for the time being.
Just because something is in the law does not mean it is right, unless
one postulates Parliamentary Infallibility.
Owen Lewis
2004-10-06 16:41:28 UTC
2004-10-06 16:18:26 UTC
And how tanks at Heathrow can affect someone launching a missile from
the other side of Windsor is a puzzle to me....
Well, assuming there was such a missile (which could have been launched
from most parts of London, these things no longer need to be fired at
the rear of aeroplanes), then the soldiers in the tanks could have
rushed around busily showing that "something is being done".
Dave Howe
2004-10-06 16:28:19 UTC
Different task. We were talking about making a firearm not making ammunition
:-) Ammo is easier to procure then firearms 0 of one can make it oneself.
I will take your word for that - I am surprised that ammo is easier to
get, given a gun without ammo is only a crude club, but a cartridge
without a gun is much easier to make an improvised firing mechanism for
(we have all seen at least web pictures of concealed weapons in
cellphones and so forth, yes?)
I could probably build some sort of oneshot gun for a commercial
cartridge without too much effort - particularly a shotgun cartridge,
where accuracy isn't as important as making sure the bloody stuff
doesn't come backwards at you ;)
.... form a closed (at one end) tube,
with or without some sort of breach,
Better to drill out a solid block or rod. This is best done on a lathe but
can be done by hand.
Indeed so. its still a tube closed at one end though, however you make it :)
then make a projectile, and arrange
some sort of ignition system for the propulsive chemical.
Only if you must. But (subject to the usual health warnings) Weedkiller
(NAClO3) and icing sugar in the proportions by weight that the composition
of the molecules requires (or determination by trial and error which mixture
burns fastest and most completely if you don't know the chemistry. Barrel is
bored to 0.25 in plus a couple of thou. Projectile is a steel
ballbearing/lead ball/ metal or stone rubbish between two wads to stop the
projectile falling out of the barrel and to tamp the charge. Most basic
ignition is on the matchlock principle, using a small priming charge of your
propellant and a slow match made by soaking a length of string in a very
strong solution of weed killer and then hanging it up to dry.
Interesting. I wouldn't know this myself, but I do know a few people who
I could ask easily enough for this sort of info.
You get the point I think. There's nothing here that a very average person
cannot do after a little show 'n tell instruction. You could do it now, I
think.
with a little trial and error, yes.
still harder work for me than writing a few lines of code though :)
- Before firing it whilst holding it, fire remotely (twice) with double
your standard load of propellant. If that doesn't destroy it you should be
(H&S disclaimer) OK thereafter if you stick to standard loads of one half of
your proof load.
or hand it to an even sillier 15 year old to fire and then run away? :)
None of this is insurmountable, but would take a bit of practice at
metalwork and a fair amount of research in various parts of a decent
reference library.
How long did it take you the read this?
How long would it have taken me to find this information (and more
probably, more accurate information on the formation of the propellent)
in a normal library?
Even most Internet texts are designed more to look scary and (by the
looks of things) remove would-be terrorists from the gene pool than to
produce genuine, usable weaponry.
If you want to make a good copy of
something more difficult, such as a Colt .45 semi-auto pistol or an AK-47
rifle complete with magazines, I can take you to villages in Pakistan and
elsewhere where an illiterate 14 year old will give you an excellent six
month show 'n tell course. Another six months of working under supervision
and you'll be more competent than most of the armourers in Western armies
:-)
Quite possibly. still wouldn't like to make cartridges from scratch
though (and yes, I know that a lot of professional shooters load their
own ammo, but even if they mold their own bullets, their propellent, and
their cases - with ignition caps - tend to be factory-standard).
Its not about book learning. It's about using your hands, patience,
attention to detail etc..
There is a fair amount of book learning there too. give some guy a fully
equipped tool shed (a la the a-team) and a chemistry lab, and a short
hollywood film with gunfights in it, then tell him to go make something
that can act like one of the guns he just saw....
A crypto library on the other hand requires only a considered-good algo
(such as 3des or arcfour) and a modest amount of programming ability; I
implemented both DES and RSA successfully on a ZX Spectrum in m/c at
around the same age you were making firearms - which didn't work first
time I admit, but worked once I got the bugs out.
Cheat! :-) You didn't write the crypto algorithm and evaluate its strength.
Indeed not. I am simply not stupid enough to do this (I am fully aware
that PRZ decided to roll his own crypto, and got it horribly wrong in
the first version of pgp. I am not going to repeat his mistake :)
I have no problem starting with the product of other people's skill in
mathematics - and even if I were to invent my own crypto scheme, it
would have to be based on math I had learnt, as I am certainly not going
to reinvent math from first principles just so I get *all* the glory ;)
I thought their implementation was fine, but key reuse happened?
There is also the issue of bias in the RNG which isn't a failure in OTP
itself, but in its key material
The (principle of OTP is sound and very simple). Protecting information with
a security equal to the strength of that simple algorithm is hard to do.
Yup. often the crypto is the strongest link anyhow, even if it is
something as underpowered as DES.
This is of course true - but to be honest I still think you could get
better results giving a random programmer the algo to arcfour and saying
"impliment this" than giving a random metalworker a diagram of a gun and
say "build one of these"
Do you still feel the same having read this?
Yup. unless you plan to just have it fire cartridges, you would need
a fairly detailed description (such as you have supplied, but obviously
giving a more exact mix for the chemicals and possibly specifying brand
names) of the propellent, the barrel, the projectile and assembly as a
whole. this is more complex (and requires more skill) from the average
metalworker than implimenting arcfour would for the average programmer.
I would also hesitate to put that rube goldburg gun up against a
machine-shop rifle, but that programmer's implimentation of crypto could
easily be as strong or stronger than many commercial products.
Owen Lewis
2004-10-06 17:44:04 UTC
You get the point I think. There's nothing here that a very
average person
cannot do after a little show 'n tell instruction. You could do
it now, I
think.
with a little trial and error, yes.
still harder work for me than writing a few lines of code though :)
We return to the point that at least half the adult population can do the
one, whilst shall we say < 1% of the population can do the other. Its not
the writing of the code but the knowing what to write and how, precisely, to
express it. Not to be taught in five minutes nor taught at all by the
illiterate.
- Before firing it whilst holding it, fire remotely
(twice) with double
your standard load of propellant. If that doesn't destroy it
you should be
(H&S disclaimer) OK thereafter if you stick to standard loads
of one half of
your proof load.
or hand it to an even sillier 15 year old to fire and then run away? :)
Why am I telling you these things? With a mind like yours, you should be
banged up :)
If you want to make a good copy of
something more difficult, such as a Colt .45 semi-auto pistol
or an AK-47
rifle complete with magazines, I can take you to villages in
Pakistan and
elsewhere where an illiterate 14 year old will give you an excellent six
month show 'n tell course. Another six months of working under
supervision
and you'll be more competent than most of the armourers in
Western armies
:-)
Quite possibly. still wouldn't like to make cartridges from scratch
though
Not as difficult as you think. Enormous up-front investment if you only want
two or three of a some specific military type. However, two or three of any
straight-cased rimfire round should not be too demanding. Tool up to make a
million of 'em and the setting up to make any type is no longer out of
proportion to the investment required. The production is all low-tech
semi-skilled work.
Its not about book learning. It's about using your hands, patience,
attention to detail etc..
There is a fair amount of book learning there too. give some guy a fully
equipped tool shed (a la the a-team) and a chemistry lab, and a short
hollywood film with gunfights in it, then tell him to go make something
that can act like one of the guns he just saw....
Tell that to some 14 year old Pakistani peasants who, on a good day, can
sign their names as something other than the proverbial X.
[...]
Yet I can tell you how to make a fiream with simple hand tools and everyday
materials. The manufacture of Napalm B is even simpler and far quicker,
using only what lies around you :-)
......to be honest I still think you could get
better results giving a random programmer the algo to arcfour and saying
"impliment this" than giving a random metalworker a diagram of a gun and
say "build one of these"
Do you still feel the same having read this?
Yup.
Ah well - but you agree that established skills as a programmer are
prerequisite. My example requires no previos training or qualification.
unless you plan to just have it fire cartridges, you would need
a fairly detailed description (such as you have supplied, but obviously
giving a more exact mix for the chemicals and possibly specifying brand
names)
No. Suitable pre-cursor chemicals lie about. They only need to be brought
together and with intent. Optimum mix is easily determined by trial and
error by open burning, once you know what it is you seek. Fast, even,
complete combustion. Don't need a GSCE to understand that.

Diesel and air. Great mix, given a little compression. So find/make a spring
and plunger.

of the propellent, the barrel, the projectile and assembly as a
whole. this is more complex (and requires more skill) from the average
metalworker than implimenting arcfour would for the average programmer.
The one does not require to be a (semi-)skilled metal worker, not for the
project I described. And becoming a semi-skilled metal worker is within the
natural gifts of better than half the population which becoming a programmer
(a very skilled trade) is only open to a few.
I would also hesitate to put that rube goldburg gun up against a
machine-shop rifle, but that programmer's implimentation of crypto could
easily be as strong or stronger than many commercial products.
You want the five min course only, you get the Rube. And don't be so
dismissive. That little dear, with only a 3-4 in barrel, can put a ball
bearing through an inch of pine and more at five metres - a range at which
you don't even need sights to nut or gut.

You want an assault rifle and ammo you won't know didn't come from a Sov
arsenal, take the one year apprenticeship on the North West Frontier. Its
odds on you have the capability to absorb the training. Sadly, it's very
much odds against that you could equally well train your young and
illiterate expert instuctor to first program and then to make good crypto
implementations.

Owen
Dave Howe
2004-10-06 16:32:46 UTC
At least we agree that the decision isn't that of a junior.
No. You have stated that the decision was not that of a junior. You
imply that you know who the decision makers were, but will not respond
to prompts to name them.
I find it deeply worrying that a junior was asked to sign his name to
an unspecified superior's decision - this is the sort of tactic you
would expect from a superior that knew that even if his decision was
technically legal, it could be either politically or legally awkward if
it came out some time in the future, and wanted to avoid having his name
associated with it.
But of course some unnamed superior at least wanted it done, so
that's ok.
Dave Howe
2004-10-06 16:39:20 UTC
Possibly scares them off. ISTR this "emergency" happened at a very
convenient time for Mr Liar and his cronies. A few soldiers driving
around in tanks is always good for getting people to do what government
wants.
In the face of such cynicism, all further debate is probably futile.
Its not particularly cynical to note that no evidence of this plot to
destroy an airliner was ever given, nobody appears to have been charged
with conspiracy over this plot, and it *was* very politically convenient
to have an alert in london and lots of military bods making everyone
feel very nervous....
Still, we have gotten so used now to governments saying "we have
excellent intelligence that... ... but of course we can't show you as it
is too sensitive, so you will have to take our word for it"
I sometimes wonder what is going to come out when the paperwork for
the 9/11 "evidence" eventually reaches an age it can be demanded under
the american FOIA (assuming they haven't abolished that by the time it
becomes an issue). I suspect strongly (if cynically) that it wouldn't
have convinced a prosecutor to take it to trial, never mind justifying
bombing a country back into the stone age that had already agreed to
formal extradition proceedings against OBL...
Charles Lindsey
2004-10-06 14:19:34 UTC
This discussion is good evidence in the case for using secure hardware
(or using an OS that makes full use of the x86 hardware protection
features) so that code cannot be planted and executed, and then
generating the key pairs in situ and storing them in a manner that
ensures that the private key cannot be exported.
Well in the systems I have been using for the past 15 years, programs (as
routinely compiled in C) were divided into text areas and data areas. The
text was where the executable code was put, and it was always read-only so
it could be shared between applications. One just didn't put code in the
data area, except for the most arcane of reasons. So if buffers 0verflowed
in the data area, all sorts of data might be corrupted, but no chance that
any of your carefully planted bogus data would ever be obeyed as running
code.

Has Mr Gates not caught up with such elementary technology yet?
Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl-***@public.gmane.org      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
David_Biggins-XjoIEpZFQiJWk0Htik3J/
2004-10-06 18:02:34 UTC
On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 06:52:19 +0100, Peter Tomlinson
[...]
Only partly. The problem is the protection against such things in the
'classic' x86 hardware is in the segment descriptors, not the actual memory
descriptors.

So any program or operating system that is running in the flat memory model
can't actually use this protection.

That's why there is a new bit in the memory descriptors in the newest AMD
and Intel CPUs.

The question is really why it's taken so long to add the hardware protection
into the place where most operating systems actually require it.

And given that at the time of writing win95, MS were being creamed by
various developers and trade press for not having used the flat model, it's
easy to see why they made technically the wrong decision for what was, at
the time, the right marketing reasons.

Dave.
David_Biggins-XjoIEpZFQiJWk0Htik3J/
2004-10-06 18:08:22 UTC
Both can of course be steered by suitable happenings,
whether they are
"real" or "made up".
Sadly, the difference between the two is no longer as great
as it once was I
think. These days what matters is not what may be real or
true but what is
widely reported and editorialised - and what is not.
Is Ken Bigley's plight real, or made up?
If there was a policeman who asked the British public "I have this
button here that I can press to intercept the kidnappers' phone, from
which we'll be able to work out where they are, and have the
SAS round
there in half an hour. Should I press it, or should I respect the
kidnappers' privacy?
What do you think the vote would look like?
But then again, what would it look like if the policeman said "I have this
button here that I can press to intercept a few hundred peoples' phones,
most or all of whom will have no knowledge of the case, a significant number
will be mistaken identities or the wrong people, and if we are very lucky,
we might just catch somebody for something, but the odds of it actually
helping find a kidnapping victim are very low"?

Dave.
David_Biggins-XjoIEpZFQiJWk0Htik3J/
2004-10-06 18:11:02 UTC
Post by Roland Perry
about regarding the wicked forces of law and order [tm].
The West Midlands Serious Crime Squad were rather more than a wild
conspiracy theory.
Indeed. My response to several people advocating draconian punishment is
"there may be a West Midlands Serious Crime Squad out there with your name
on it".

Dave
David_Biggins-XjoIEpZFQiJWk0Htik3J/
2004-10-06 18:16:36 UTC